Monday, February 15, 2010

Theo van Doesburg


Theo van Doesburg's Composition I (1916) is very different from his other works of art that I found. He uses a lot of geometric shapes in his artwork, but they are usually rectangular and not spherical. I chose these three works of art of his because they are so different from his others as well as the one that I chose in my first blog post. In Composition I, I like his use of colors, plus the fact that when I look at it, it either looks like a tree form with objects on it or as if I'm seeing objects within the tree. His use of the element of form, shape and space helps him achieve the principle of proportion giving his painting the illusion of either seeing the outside of the form or seeing objects within the form.


In Composition in Gray (1919), he uses the elements of line, pattern, and texture to achieve the principle of balance and unity. I like how he uses gray scale instead of color. I like the way he shades it and gives it a three dimensional feel. To me, it looks like woven pieces of sheet metal. I think that because of all of this, it is a very cool and interesting piece of artwork.


In Composition IX (1920), Theo van Doesburg uses the elements of line and pattern to achieve the principle of balance. I like this work of art because I like geometric shapes and I like how the groupings of stair step rectangles give the painting depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment